The Only Thing I Declared My Independence from This Weekend Was Real Pants

Monday, July 7, 2014

... and it was GLORIOUS.

Welcome back to reality, folks! I took a nice little hiatus from the blog in honor of our holiday weekend, and now I'm back and ready to go! Okay, that's a lie. I'm back, but I am not ready to go. As a friend of mine says, "Re-entry is hell!" and man, she is right. Going back to reality after a long weekend is hard, especially when, including today, there are only THREE MONDAYS left in my 9-5 office job life. Craziness.

Last week was better than most weeks, simply because there were only 4 work days involved. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to go to a 4 day work week. Seriously. Sadly, the chances of that happening are slim to none and slim just left town, so I won't hold my breath. 

The week itself was not very exciting. I basically went to work, blogged, and sat on my butt at home, which was fine by me. I also did a lot of school work and had a minor freak out about all of the work I'll be doing in a few short weeks. The only saving grace (???) is that I won't be working, so at least I can focus my brain one thing at a time, even if that thing is a giant pile of schoolwork and material that is gigantic and unwieldy. Deep breaths, Alison.

I did have quite a lovely holiday weekend, however. I was sad that Ken had to work on Friday from 4-9, Saturday from 3-11, and Sunday from 10-7, but I managed to entertain myself. After sleeping in on Friday, Ken made pancakes and we watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad (we're almost done the series and I think I may have a heart attack before it's over) and then he went to work. I started to feel kind of gross and realized that my immune system was betraying me (yet again) and that I had a low-grade fever. I took a nap, watched Scandal, knitted, and generally was a blob on the sofa until I went to my mom's for dinner and fireworks. Ken headed over after work, and we watched the fireworks in my mom's driveway on an old comforter.

My mom snapped this with her phone and I love it.
Afterwards, we ate a late dinner and headed home. On Saturday, we slept in, then met Alia and her boyfriend Dave, for brunch at The Pop Shop! I hadn't seen Alia since December, but she was visiting this week from Toronto and I was so glad that we were able to get together. Also, the Cinnamon Bun French Toast at The Pop Shop is amazing and even though I only ate half of it and then promptly left the leftovers on the table, it was delicious. Alia also helped me figure out what I had done wrong with my short rows and we chatted about knitting for a bit, which completely confused Ken and Dave. (Sorry, guys.) On our way home, Ken and I stopped to look at some bedroom furniture at Raymour & Flanigan because we are hopefully going to get a new set when we move. We're still using the set I've had since I was approximately 4, so not only is it white/mauve, it's old and I am more than ready for an upgrade. 

The rest of Saturday was spent looking at more furniture with my mom, then taking Ken dinner at work. I stayed up way too late watching more of the third season of Scandal and finally made myself go to bed around 2 am. I am kind of ashamed of how much time I spent in front of the TV this weekend. I keep telling myself that in a few weeks, I'll probably forget that we even own a TV, so I better get it all in now, right? Right? (Someone agree with me, please.)

On Sunday... Ken worked, I slept in, and then... you guessed it, sat on the sofa with my knitting and Scandal. I did get a few things done while totally glued to my Netflix, however. For example, I was able to rip out half of the shawl I've been working on so I could fix my short row error, and I didn't even have a heart attack when I thought I dropped 110 stitches. Then I restarted the short rows and they're actually working this time, so I don't have to go to Loop and beg for someone to help me figure out why I'm inept. I also folded a lot of laundry, cleaned the oven, cleaned some cat hairballs off of the carpet (thanks, cats, that's awesome), and discovered that acetone, if used judiciously and on a Q-tip, totally removes dried nail polish from a microfiber sofa. And no, I have no idea how or when I got nail polish on the sofa or how I managed to do so in such a tiny, perfect, dot, but I did and now it's gone and the sofa isn't stained or bleached or on fire, so I think I win. I also started keeping a list of things that I've thought while watching Scandal, so expect a blog post dedicated to that in the not so distant future. 

Somewhere in there, I took Ken some lunch and had a complete meltdown in the car about how I'm going to ruin us financially by going to med school, because that's what I do on a perfectly lovely Sunday afternoon. (Related: Ken is a saint for putting up with me and my irrational meltdowns.) On my way home, I dropped off two bags of clothes to the thrift store to see what they'd give me for them, and then I went home to continue my Scandal binge and make dinner. Ken came home around 7:30, reported that he had found $40 in the parking lot of Lowe's (hooray!), took a shower, and then we ate dinner and headed out to the bowling alley to meet up with one of his teacher coworkers and her boyfriend. I was moderately annoyed about having to put on real pants and a bra after 5 pm on a weekend, but bowling was fun, even though I am the worst bowler in the history of the world. It figures I would marry someone who not only has bowled since he was about 6, but was the captain of his high school bowling team and routinely scores well into the 200's. Fortunately, he isn't ashamed to be seen with me in a bowling alley, so it's all good. Unfortunately, my body was really unhappy with my decision to go bowling, and my hand, wrist, and arm were all very upset after 2 games. Autoimmune disease, you totally suck and I hate you.

We ended up getting home around 11 and getting to bed at 12, so getting up this morning at 7:30 was really unpleasant. The day itself hasn't been too bad, and hey, there are only 12 work days left between me and freedom. I might even take off the entire day we're set to close, so it might be 11 days! I am heading home shortly for more furniture shopping, followed by grabbing pizza at our favorite pizza place. Yes folks, married life is this glamorous. 

So, that's how I spent my weekend. Not very patriotically or productively, but it was relaxing. I suppose I should be grateful for all of the downtime I have right now, because in about a month, my life belongs to med school. For now... I'm not going to think about that. That is a problem for Future Alison, right?


- A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note! I always reply and I love meeting other bloggers!

Designed By Graciously Designed.